Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Child Creating their own Pancake Recipe

So, I just wanna first say that I originally saw something sorta similar to this here, but wanted to do our own version. I think it's so great to give kids lots of time with you in the kitchen and to let them get inventive and try out their own recipes. Everything should of course be as safe as possible though. Teach safe habits like these whenever possible.

We started with pancakes, just like the other blogger did. The activity really is essentially the same, but I'm sharing my daughters recipe as well since it turned out AMAZING.

I started the activity by asking her what we normally use to make pancakes, showing her that we'd just bought a box of mix yesterday. She wanted to use that mix. I asked her what she thought would taste really good in a pancake/what she'd like to add. She immediately started yelling agave! I thought that was a really smart choice. After she put that on the counter and got out the mixing bowl she wanted to use I started naming off some more of the things we had on hand so she could choose some more stuff. She picked chocolate chips and raisins!

So, with all our ingredients on the counter we started reading the pancake mix box. I asked her if she wanted to use 1 cup or 2 cups of mix, she said 2 so I got the corresponding amount of water ready. We measured the mix together, she poured it into the mixing bowl and then used a fork to make sure there were no clumps. Then she poured in the water and used that fork to mix it all together.



Next came adding the extra ingredients that she picked out. She squirted the agave in straight from the bottle. Then she poured the chocolate chips in straight from the bag. Last of all came the raisins, I asked her how many she wanted to put in and she said four so I gave her four to put in. She stirred that all up, then of course she had to sit down while I cooked them on the stove. I used a little bit of coconut oil on the pan in between each pancake which made them even more delicious and healthy. I also put vegan butter on each after they came out of the pan. Both of which were okayed by the little recipe maker/chef herself!
She really enjoyed her pancake and I thought they were super yummy too! After they cooled completely I put them in a gallon Ziploc bag, with a piece of wax paper separating each pancake, to freeze. Reheating only takes about 35 seconds in the microwave.



Charlie's Chocolate Agave Pancake Recipe:
Ingredients:
- 2 cups of complete pancake mix
- 1 1/3 cups of water
- 1-2 TBSP or more of organic amber agave
- 1/3 cup Enjoy Life gluten/dairy/nut/soy free chocolate chips
- 4 organic raisins
- Organic coconut oil for the pan
- Vegan butter to spread on each warm pancake

Step 1: Get out your ingredients and mix them all together with a fork or spoon.
Step 2: Melt some coconut oil in the pan.
Step 3: Use a 1/4 cup to pour pancake mix into coconut oiled pan, on medium-low heat. Flip when bubbles are forming all over pancake. Give it a couple minutes for the other side to cook.
Step 4: Put it on a plate, butter and serve.
Step 5: Completely cool and freeze leftovers.


No comments:

Post a Comment