Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Princesses on the Avocado Dip Pirate Boat Snack

I originally got this idea from this recipe. It is posted on a list of 15 healthy snacks from Super Healthy Kids, a wonderful resource for recipes! I changed the recipe a bit, and expanded on the idea in a new way for my little girl so I decided to share it.


So, as you can see if you clicked on the link they were serving an avocado dip served in the halved avocado skin to look like a boat with a pirate flag stuck in and chips around it. I did this too, but made the pirate flag myself with black construction paper, white crayon, Sharpie, and scissors. Then I stuck it onto a bamboo skewer and put it into the dip. I also added Little People Disney princesses around it. The princesses were taking over the pirate ship!

My recipe for the avocado dip:
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 TBSP organic salsa
- 1/2 TSP freshly squeezed lemon juice, maybe a bit more depending

First you cut the avocado in half lengthwise and then you scoop all flesh out, and the pit of course. Reserve the half of the skin that you want to be your boat.

You put all the ingredients in a blender and blend them up until they are smooth. I had to do a bit of mashing of mine too because I didn't blend it too much since I wanted to leave some avocado bits in there too. Their recipe called for 1 TSP light sour cream. I opted not to use that as we try to be dairy free more often than not and I just didn't think it needed it. If I would have had some organic goat's milk yogurt I would have used that happily though, would have made it a bit creamier. But it was delicious just how it was.

Once it was ready I carefully spooned it into the better boat looking side of the avocado skin. Then I stuck the bamboo skewer pirate flag in and placed the chips around it. For the final touch I added the Little People Disney princesses.

My daughter absolutely loved this and devoured it!

No comments:

Post a Comment